Why is it so hard to escape stress? Tax Day may be over, but we’ve still got to deal with daily e-mails, texts, random phone notifications, meetings, traffic, annoying people, deadlines and more… It comes from everywhere; you even worry about your e cigs sometimes, making sure batteries are charged and flavor cartridges full.
Although it would be nice, life doesn’t stop when we do (beer helps, but you can’t down a bottle every time you reach your wit’s end). Knowing how to manage stress effectively will get you back on track when you would rather just grab your ecigarettes, hop in the car and drive into the sunset – and never come back.
Before you chuck your smartphone out the window or tell your humorless boss the company-wide nickname for his awful toupee, check out these five simple ways to keep your cool in a pinch.
1. Breathe Deeply – Taking full, deep breaths will provide your body with the oxygen it needs to maintain balance. Breathe in for five counts, hold for five counts, and count to five as you exhale. Do this three times, taking a normal breath in between. Then treat yourself to a session with your electric cigarette.
2. Stretch – Sitting all day makes our muscles unhappy. Stretch them out to calm your mind and get a boost of energy. There are even stretches you can do at your desk.
3. Listen to music – At work, play something calm that won’t distract you. Listening to the right kind of music will quiet background noise and help you stay focused. Blast your favorite songs on the ride home – it’s a great way to unwind and almost guaranteed to annoy other drivers. (Added bonus!)
4. Laugh – The saying, “laughter is serious medicine” is seriously true. It’s not real medicine of course, but laughing does release hormones that immediately raise your mood. Find something funny and chuckle away… Just don’t do it at the expense of some poor intern from your office.
5. Enjoy an e-cig – Sit back, relax and savor each puff. You don’t even have to get up.
Next time you feel ready to punch the wall, try some of our ideas to regain control. And keep your e cigs close because you never know what’s coming next…
What else do you do to keep your cool?