Vaping Seniors: What You Need to Know

Filed in Lifestyle by on January 17, 2018 12 Comments

While most media coverage of vaping centers around younger vapers, vaping isn’t just for twenty-somethings. In fact, many seniors have taken up vaping as reported in a recent New York Times article. If you scroll through the comment section of the piece, you can understand why many of them decided to make the switch.

Seniors may not be the target market for many vapor technology companies, but should they be? As the Times indicates, a number have ditched smoking for vaping. And that trend is likely to grow.

In the article we meet Jeannie Cox, a retired secretary in her seventies who lives in Tennessee. She started vaping after a trip to see her non-smoking family in frigid Alaska (where she didn’t want to have to brave the low temperatures just for a smoke break). She has been vaping for more than four years now, she told the newspaper.

It isn’t just the cold weather or family visits that can prompt the switch. If we consider the places it is forbidden to smoke, like hospitals, many retirement communities and shared spaces where seniors may frequent, it’s no wonder that they are making the switch.

Plus, it’s important to remember that many seniors live on a fixed income and vaping can save you money. Keeping costs down is important for most people, but especially when you may be out of the workforce. The only barrier to vaping for some seniors is the learning curve attached to vapor technology.

Many are put off by new technology, but needn’t be deterred by vaping. At V2, we never assume that our customers know everything there is to know about vaping – especially as newbies. We’ve created a comprehensive guide to vaping for beginners that walks you through electronic cigarettes in plain English. This would be a great place to start if you want to learn how to vape, but may feel intimidated by the technology.

Are you a senior that has taken up vaping? We would love for you to share your story in the comments below. If you still haven’t made a decision on which ecig may be right for you, take a look at the best ecig starter kits as rated by V2 customers.

Comments (12)

1. Aileen says:

I am 63. I wanted to quit regular cigarettes and began vaping in April of 2013. I have always purchased my vaping supplies from V2. Love it. They have great customer service.

• V2 says:

Thank you for choosing V2, Aileen!

• Karen says:

I am 62 and I love V2. I live in Alaska and I have had a difficult time finding an electronic cigarette that I liked. My sister sent me a V2 starter kit after sharing my frustration with her. Sadly, I can’t find anyone that sells V2 in Alaska. So, I order on-line and what amazes me is that EVERY order I have placed, I received in a week or less!!! Come on, how great is that?! I’m so grateful that there’s a real alternative to smoking cigarettes. I will always be a V2 Senior! Don’t even get me started on how much I love V2 chocolate and vanilla!!

2. BLC says:

Needed to find the best alternative to smoking, did some research and found that V2 had the highest overall rating as to product and customer service. I am 57, quit combustible tobacco end of April 2017. Thanks V2

3. Karen says:

I’m 70 now, but 7 years ago I made an abrupt switch to V2. I had earlier tried another type of e-cig and didn’t care for it. Once I tried V2, I stuck with them and never smoked again.

4. Kathy says:

I’m 62 years old, starting smoking cigarettes at age 14 (yikes!). Started using V2 e-cigs about 4 years ago, love them. While I haven’t been able to entirely quit using cigarettes – I’m down to 6 per day! That from 1 to 1/14 packs! I use the classic but would love to try others. Guess I’m a little leery of the technology. So…I’ll be looking into the guide mentioned in the article.

5. Linda Langtry says:

I researched how much vaping could improve your health. I talked to my Dr. and he agreed that vaping was better than smoking for your health. i tried 3 other kinds of e cigs and always went back to smoking i watched reviews you tube and ordered V2 cigs in 2014. i lost my smokers cough in 3 days. i have not bought anything but v2 cigs. It worked for me. i have no desire for a real cig at all so i have stayed with v2. and i save a lot of money vaping .I am almost 66 years old

6. Sandi Ranzau says:

I have been with v2 since April of 2011. I could no longer afford to smoke cigarettes and my son told me about Ecigs. I had never heard of them and started to research online. Found v2 to be the best. I am 73 years old now and would never want to smoke cigarettes again. Very happy with my v2 battery and cartridges. Customer service is always great.